Monday, November 11, 2019

Turning texts into apps

I few years ago I wrote an app for the Volpi book, in Angular 5, to make it easier to study the text. For example, double-clicking on a Greek word popped up a screen about that Greek word.

This year I've been working two texts and trying to create apps for them. I started with the first ~200 pages of GA 19 (Plato's Sophist) and wrote a Blazor app. Blazor is an experimental framework for writing code in browsers using WebAssembly. The app hosts the German pages and English translation. I has some features like "hover over a Greek word to see glossary look-up". Some features, like responding to a double-click on a selected word, son't quite work in Blazor yet. I need to do some more experimenting with Blazor as it matures.

In the summer I joined a B&T reading group, and created a B&T app, with the first ~100 pages of that text. In addition to the German and English, this app also hosts Tom Sheehan's paraphrastic condensation; users can flip between English translation and paraphrase.

Creating apps for texts is labor intensive if the text is not ready -- e.g., needs OCR corrections.

No comments:

Post a Comment